1. Take a clear side view picture of your subject...Make sure that it is a perfect side view and that they are looking straight ahead and not down. For very little ones, I've found it's sometimes easier to get a good profile picture while they are watching TV!
2. Size your photo down to the size you want and then print it out.
3. Choose paper that is the right size and color for your project. (I chose black to make them look like traditional vintage silhouettes) Paper that is slightly thinner is easier to cut accurately and sometimes makes a prettier image.
4. Place the printed picture on top of the colored paper, and staple (not too close) around the outside of the profile just to hold it securely in place. Sometimes it's easier if you carefully trace the profile with a contrasting colored pen or pencil before you cut.
5. Carefully and SLOWLY cut out the image. (small sharp scissors work best)
6. To finish your gift, mat your silhouettes on a contrasting color paper and frame it!
These also make great note cards (scan and print them), scrapbook pages, and if you cut them out of fabric instead...you can make beautiful pillows, tote bags, and t-shirts with your sweet children's faces on them! Also, try doing a full body silhouette of your little one. Enjoy!